
Today I was sitting at snack time with the students at the ARC, the place I work, and I felt a sudden wave of panic. Where was I? I was supposed to be at work! Then I remembered, I was at work. You see, usually I do paperwork for the ARC, secluded in an office all to myself. But today my employer asked me if I wanted to hang out with the students, since they were going to a show. So, despite my misgivings, I said yes.
First they went to the exercise room. I soon began matching faces with the names I had been seeing for the past week on paper. Most of them were quite talkative. One dear old gentleman told me about 30 times that he wanted a yellow Mickey Mouse coloring book for Christmas. After exercise we went back in for snack. And then it was time for the long trek to the theater.
The theater was only about four or five blocks away, but with about 20 students to keep together, it seemed to take at least 15 minutes just to get there. But what's a quarter hour in the boiling heat when you have a friend's hand to hold.
It was a wild west show. They loved it. They loved the lasso best of all, clapping and shouting with delight as the cowboy looped it around and around.
Finally it was time to go home. But there's always tomorrow. Every day is a new day at the ARC.


No comments:
Post a Comment