Thursday, June 3, 2010

Political Correctness


I've been trying to teach my dad to be politically correct. It's not that I'm one of those people who freak out at anything that might possibly offend anyone... I mean some people just need to grow skin, it's ridiculous. Suck it up and be a man! Or woman, if you're a woman and find the previous sentence offensive. I do think that one should respect other people however. Which brings me to the conversation (friendly argument) I had with my dad last night. For example I was trying to tell him that you can't call midgets midgets anymore. When I told my dad this of course he couldn't believe it! What were we supposed to call them? Dwarves? Actually, yes. As a general group, they prefer to be called dwarves (since it's the actual medical condition) or to be called Little People. I think this sounds just as adorable as midget, but hey, that's wat they want... At least that's wat they say on TLC's Little People Big World... but that is TV.
And no, dad, you can't call retarded people retarded. The proper term is developmentally disabled or - differently abled. You can only call people who aren't retarded retarded. Like my sister. Ha! I hope she reads this ;P But it's ok, she's not overly-easily offended like some people...
I don't think I got through to my dad. I think he still calls Little People midgets, mentally disabled people retarded, and people of Chinese descent Chinks (though probably not to their face because that really would be offensive). But you know, he's just a good soul who doesn't care to cover up his slang. Don't hate him because he's different. Because that would be very politically incorrect.

1 comment:

  1. HAHAHA! This post was hilarious! Tell your Dad he is too old and set in his ways to change...oh wait that's not politically correct to call him old is it! And down here at Little Union, the mentally disabled are called "afflicted"!

    ReplyDelete