Monday, June 7, 2010

The Pool is Open!


During the long, sultry days of summer, relief is needed. Watery relief. The public pool. Now I know the public pool is nasty and full of chlorine and little kids and their pee, but it's better than nothing. So when a high school friend asked if I would like to accompany her I jumped at the chance. She, my sister, and I met at the pool and proceeded to enter its blue depths.
COLD! COLD! COLD! How can the water be so cold when the air is so hot?! But eventually it was acceptable. Finally we could settle to the important business of critiquing the lifeguards and making fun of the blonds in bikinis (none of us wear bikinis, mind, or have boyfriends).
Too soon the guards blew their whistles and we were forced to evacuate the pool. But that was ok; sunbathing is just as good. I decided that I love the sun. It's so wonderful. Even if I did forget sunscreen. Ah well, skin cancer is worth it. Maybe...
Ah summer, with your swimming pools and sunshine and cola and BFFs and cute lifeguards (who are all inconveniently jerks, gay, too young, or taken). Your summer movies and cool music and bonfires and sleep-overs. You are why college is overrated, I am sure. Sweet summer, I sing your songs!

1 comment:

  1. I am not a big fan of public pools, so I am glad we have a little blow up pool for Joshua, I sit in my lawn chair with my feet soaking in the nice cool water, while he enjoys dumping the water out of the pool onto the lawn. :)

    ReplyDelete