
Sometimes I get the feeling that many Christians are hiding behind God. I know that He is our rock and our shelter and all that, but He didn't make us a suit of armor to sit in our churches and read the Bible (even tho technically that is the Sword of the Spirit). But I think some people use God to make their lives easier. To ignore things through "faith."
One example of this would be the view many Christians hold on the issue of "global warming." I personally haven't really constructed a firm opinion of the subject yet; I just haven't seen enough evidence from both sides to decide. I do think that it is our ethical duty to be good stewards of the earth, whether the planet's burning up or not. But I've never even heard a good argument against "global warming" from the Christian camp. All I ever get is "those liberals are tryin to redistribute the wealth! It's a masterminded plot against America!" I do not consider this evidence. Liberal masterminding has absolutely no affect on the earth's atmosphere. But I remember once a man telling me the reason he didn't believe in global warming: the Bible says that the seasons will never fail, that there will always be spring and summer and winter and fall. But the basic point is, this Christian man was blinding himself to even the idea that, hey, we might be messin up here and he was using one out-of-context verse to prove his point. He won't even think about it or at look at it. Sure the seasons will always be, because the earth will always be turning; that has absolutely nothing to do with the earth's climate.
Another point I sometimes hear from Christians is that world peace and the like is impossible because man is sinful. While this may very well be true, and it is certainly true that we humans will never be perfect, is that any excuse to not strive for our best? Christians should be at the front of such campaigns! I realize that sometimes war is necessary if a nation is being invaded, but it's also true that it is much easier to make war than to talk peace. Sometimes I think we use doctrine as an excuse for not pushing harder.
Here is my rallying cry to you: use the Word as a sword and not as a shield. Use the brains nature made you for good hard thinking, and the heart God gave you for good strong loving.


No comments:
Post a Comment