Sunday, May 16, 2010

On your mark, get set, go!!!!


Last Friday I finally decided to volunteer at the Race to Embrace. This is like a local special olympics. I'm always looking for chances to volunteer (goody-two-shoes as my sister calls me) but I'd sorta been holding off on this one. It's not that I don't want to help bring a good day to a bunch of people, it's just - well - I'm not too keen on the Embrace part. I'm not really a touchy-feely kinda person. I know I know! That sounds horrible! But it's just not really my thing. But I finally gave in to my guilty conscience and signed up.
It was hot, really hot. But despite the fact, the students always had a smile. The smallest things could bring them joy and excitement. They were making me - moaning and complaining - look like a wimp! I just had to stay at one booth in one place, but they were running all over the place to different games, and they were having fun! Sort put things in perspective. I was reminded that just because the air wasn't the perfect temperature and my allergies were working up and there was a line the size of the Great Wall of China for slushies, I was with good people, doing a good thing. I could enjoy it just as much as they could. The Race to Embrace made me remember my purpose in life: to be happy, and to make other people happy too. Not too much to ask and not too much to give. But it makes life good. Before you know it I'll be givin out free hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment