
As we all know, tests are just part of life. Your girlfriend asks if her dress makes her look fat; your boss asks what you think of her new marketing plan; your kid asks where babies come from; etc. You either know the answer and pass, or you don't and fail. As preparation for the real world, school is naturally going to come with some tests of its own. Fortunately, in the public school system at least, these tests are usually multiple choice or short answer. If you do all your homework, study hard, and pay attention in class, you should be fine. Sure, you might stress over it, but you know in the end that your grade will reflect the effort you put into it.
That's what I thought. Then I took my first government test of the semester.
I had taken great notes, read all the required chapters, and studied over the material for nearly a week before the actual test. Yes, sir, I was ready for anything. Five page essay on the system of checks and balances - piece of pie; meditation on the affects of demographics in politics - done; personal interpretation of the "Star Spangled Banner" - you know it. So when the professor laid a multiple choice test on my desk I knew I would breeze on through. And I did. Every question was confidentially bubbled in fifteen minutes. I knew this stuff. This was elementary.
I returned two days later to receive my score. Sure of myself, a little proud of my intelligence, looking forward to tucking another 100 under my belt.
50, the test said. 50/100.
Well, to say the least, I was completely crushed. And confused! What had I done! I had been so sure of myself! The questions had been so simple, the answers so straightforward! What had gone wrong?! Why?!?!?!?!?!
Needless to say, I went home and did what any self-respecting, modern woman would do in the face of such defeat. I lay in bed and ate chocolate all day. I would have rented some good romantic tragedies, but I was broke too.
Ok, ok, I didn't really lie in bed all day. (The chocolate part, though...) No, I formed a plan of attack. No upstart government teacher was going to ruin my stellar record! I would confront him and demand that he see the error in his ways! He would give me what I had worked so hard for, what I deserved!
By the time I actually got the chance two days later, a little of the fight had gone out of me. Maybe I had been too confident. Maybe I hadn't studied quite as much as I previously exaggerated. Maybe I did deserve this grade. Then what?
Well then, I told myself, this will just have to be a learning opportunity. In fact, this may be the best thing that ever happened to me! From now on, I'll work hard in this class. I won't give into the urge to watch Dr. Who instead of studying; I won't just read the outline at the beginning of the chapter; I won't daydream about spring break during class. I'll become the best student ever! I will change the world, one test grade at a time!
So I strode into his office, ready to meet whatever came at me.
He had used the wrong answer key to grade my test. I got a 100. Yeah... you can forget all that stuff I said in the last paragraph. Being a genius rocks.


Whew! What a relief! Glad to hear you're still a genius! :-)
ReplyDelete