
I fear I am becoming a hoarder. Everyday I must fight the desperate urge to add to my beloved stash. I face a daily battle for dominance over my own internal drives. But my resolve is weakening. I am slowly succumbing to the pull of the hoard. I - must - have - more - plants!
Perhaps it was the rising of spring that awakened this longing within me. When I was younger - before I lived in a dorm room the size of a rail car - I used to plant flowers every spring. When the frost began to recede and the days grew warm I would pull out my gardeners tools and start digging. Ah, the fresh smell of dirt and grass, the grittiness of it beneath my fingernails; the comfort that can only come from nurturing something beautiful. My plants were like my children. Until a few weeks had passed and I got bored, of course. But that start was enough to keep flowers in the yard for the rest of the year.
Maybe it is the increasing restlessness that comes from the ending of a semester. I need out of this box! The stench produced by two people living constantly in confines too tight for them is suffocating me! These plants will help lighten the air, pulling in toxins and breathing out fresh oxygen. They will bring life to what is rapidly becoming and dull and even maddening existence.
Whatever the reason, I have begun to hoard. It started with a lucky bamboo plant. Just a tiny little thing I bought last semester in Florida. That was my only plant companion until after Christmas this year. Then my roommate's dad got me a mini-Christmas tree (see "the stacks").
That did not seem too bad. I had one plant on either end of the room. But the space was full. Realistically, there was no more room.
But crazy people don't think realistically. They think "ooh pretty flowers". I started seeing opportunities everywhere to vest myself with more plants. There was the environmental club's annual plant sale. There was the local nursery I had been eyeing for weeks. There was the multi-pack of marigolds my mom had bought from Walmart. They were everywhere! Beckoning with their smiling petals, their happily waving leaves! It was too much!
I gave in. Technically, it was my mom's fault. She caught me looking at a bonsai plant in Walmart and promptly bought it for me. How could I refuse? So my flora family expanded once again.
That's not bad, you may think. Only three plants. But bear in mind that I live in a box. It's starting too look like a jungle in there. And don't think that this is the end. A hoarder's appetite knows no bounds. It's only a matter of time before I find an excuse to obtain that mini-rose bush I've been hankering for. Not to mention the tomato plant. An easter cactus would be nice too. I wonder if I could get away with a hanging basket...


No comments:
Post a Comment