Tuesday, April 26, 2011

My Love/Hate Relationship


I have decided that spring is my favorite season. I hate it.
What, you may ask, could lead to such discord within me? Well I have often marveled at this myself, and I think I finally have it pinned down.
Number one reason I love/hate spring: flowers. I absolutely adore them. They are the bane of my existence. I like to plant them, pick them, smell them, put them in my hair, scatter them around my house, and doodle them on my homework. I am also ridiculously allergic to pollen. I shall say no more.
The second reason I find spring so conflicting is the weather. How can one day be so beautiful and the next so horrible? I have woken up to tornadoes on Tuesday and perfectly blue skies on Wednesday. Sunday might be freezing, and Monday balmy. It makes wardrobe planning very difficult. Flip-flops or rain-boots? Snow coats or tank tops?
The final reason spring and I have such a dysfunctional relationship is that my schedule is - confusing. School is almost through, and I can start looking forward to the relaxation that comes with summer (even if I do find a summer job). On the other hand, school only seems to get more stressful as it gets closer to the end. It's like a little kid with attachment problems being torn away from its mother. It kicks and screams and causes general trouble. There are all those finals to study for and papers to write. To make things worse, it seems that my dorm room is shrinking, bringing my increasingly annoying roommate and I ever closer. Spring holds so much promise, but it takes so long to deliver.
As you can see, spring is the best of times, and it is the worst of times. Usually though, the good stuff outweighs the sneezy/rainy/hectic stuff. As some preacher once said "you gotta eat the chicken and throw away the bones".

No comments:

Post a Comment