Saturday, September 21, 2013

"Nice to See You"

Yep, this is definitely something I would say.


I have a problem.  I am socially awkward.  I don't know from whence this stems.  My father and sister are just bundles of charisma, and even my mother knows how to hold her own.  But me?  Um... not too hot.
First off, unless I'm good friends with you, I don't talk.  For real, I have had entire conversations in which my side of the dialogue consisted of "yeah", "uh-huh", "really?", and an occasional bumbled quip or vague question.  Don't get me wrong, I like people, I like listening to them, I just don't have much to say.  Until I get to know them, and then I don't shut up. Of course it's hard to get to know people when you don't talk to them in the first place.
Then if I am talking to someone, I can hardly keep the words straight.  I have this tendency to try to talk faster than I can actually think (since I'm terrified of awkward silences - an awkward silence being any one longer than 1.234 seconds).  Consequently, as I'm prattling away, my brain frequently stalls, resulting in a random stream of consciousness while I frantically try to remember what I was going to say.  At least that's what it feels like.  I can never remember what I actually said.
Another reason that I absolutely know I am socially awkward, is that I hide from people in Wal-Mart.  I'm sure we've all made jokes about hiding from someone at Wal-Mart.  But I actually do.  And it doesn't have to be an enemy.  It also doesn't have to be Wal-Mart.  It can be any public place, and it can be any person who I know.  Sometimes people I don't know.  I am so antisocial that if I see someone who I think will recognize me at all, I go into stealth mode to escape the store.  Ok, it's not that bad.  But I will definitely go down a different aisle.  I just don't like making contact with people at 10 am in Foodland when I haven't brushed my hair and am still wearing my pajama pants.  Plus I don't particularly care for the "How are you!"  "I'm fine!  How are you!"  "Great!"  Awkward silence.  "Well nice seeing you!"  "You too!"  "Alright, bye!"  "Bye!"  "Ok, see you later!"  "Bye!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment