I recently red this awful poll that ranked different states according to different categories (e.g. California is fourteenth best when it comes to food, Alaska has the ugliest residents, etc.). Without even getting into how petty, narrow-minded and frequently insulting such a measurement is (for real, ranking states on how ugly their residents are?) I will say that I found it very hard to believe that most of the people taking this poll had actually been to the places they were judging. If they had been, Alabama would most certainly have been top 10 in at least food and scenery.
People are always asking me if I'm going to move away when I graduate and when I say no, I actually like Alabama, they look at me like I'm in the top 10 for most deranged. But for reasons inexplicable, I truly enjoy being surrounded by rednecks. They either turn out to be fine, hard-working, down-to-earth people, or they are quite entertaining. Sometimes both. And I must say that I find something oddly attractive about a guy who talks like his voice box has been lined with molasses and who wears flannel shirts and steel-toed boots to work.
So even though I know all the haters are gonna hate, I still say "my home's in Alabama". And "roll Tide, roll".



No comments:
Post a Comment