Everybody hates pills. But there are two groups of individuals who especially can't stand them, those being pets and kids. Adult humans can understand that this is uncomfortable, but it is good in the long run. Pets and small children can only understand the yuck factor.
I happen to have command of a member of one of the above mentioned groups: a dog. His name is Biscuit, he is a Yorkie-Maltese mix, and he looooves treats. Pills, not so much. Fortunately for him he only has one pill he has to take once a month, for flea/heartworm defense. Unfortunately for me, he is very clever, and he loves treats. Especially people food treats.
The pill that I have to give him is small but chewable and, apparently, quite tastless. He refuses to eat it unless it is handwrapped in some kind of delicious trojan vessel. Favorites include swiss cheese and turkey. But, like I said, Biscuit is a very clever dog.
So here I am, standing in the kitchen with a pill in one hand and a piece of turkey in the other. I wrap it up and offer it to my grinning pup. He promptly devors it. "It" being the turkey. The pill is now a soggy dot on the floor. Great. I try again. Same process occurs.
Desperate, I call in the reinforcements: swiss cheese and my mother. My mother is a genius. She can make anything happen if she sets her mind to it. And Biscuit loves cheese even more than he loves turkey.
My mother wraps the pill (tiny soggy ball) into the cheese. Biscuit eats the cheese. My mother chops the pill up into little pieces, wraps them in cheese, and shoves them one by one into his mouth. Success at last! We are pill-administering geniuses! Unruly dog appetites are helpless before us! We celebrate with the rest of the swiss cheese and turkey. Even Biscuit gets some more people food.
And then promptly crawls under the table to throw it all back up.
Sunday, August 19, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I would loved to have been a fly on the wall! This sounds interesting! I hope you have mastered this trick by now! :)
ReplyDelete