I've been thinking about perfection lately, that elusive theoretical construct that so often evades us. What is perfection, anyway? Never making a mistake? Falling exactly into a certain mold, a protoype of what a situation, or a life, should be? Either way, it seems that people are constantly looking for it. "People aren't perfect, but we should try everyday to get a little closer," say the preachers. "I just want a perfect wedding," say the brides. "In a perfect world, this would never happen," say the cynics. Well I, for one, have given up on perfect. In fact, I would venture to say that I have rejected the idea of perfection as even being desirable.
I mean, can you imagine how boring the world would be if everyone were "perfect"? Take the English language for instance. If everyone spoke perfect English, you would never hear another "ain't", "y'all", or "can't get no" again. Dialects, slang, and personal vocabulary quirks would disappear. Talking would become like reading a 19th century English novel.
And if people never made mistakes - never dropped eggs in the kitchen, never accidentally called the lady bank teller "sir", never had a bad habit - well then we would all be Twilight vampires, and not people at all. I'm not talking about unethical behavior. There is a difference between imperfection and immorality. But all our little quirks and stutters - they're kind of endearing. Think about it - if we were all perfect, if we all fit that "perfect picture", then we would lose one of our most valuable assets - our individuality.
I knew a woman once who had to have everything perfect. If it wasn't just right, she couldn't rest. But of course she couldn't control other people, so nothing was every perfect. There were always ripples on her pond, even if from no fault of her own. The world is a vibrant place full of creatures who are constantly changing, constantly struggling, constantly growing. Maybe instead of working so hard to smooth all the wrinkles out of our table cloths, we should put more energy into finding people to enjoy dinner with. If that makes any sense at all. Let's just get over it and enjoy our wonderful, messed up lives.
Tuesday, December 18, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Oh my word, I absolutely LOVE this!! It is full of truth!!! You are such a great writer! This is worded so... so..."PERFECTLY!"
ReplyDelete