Tuesday, February 14, 2012

At Last!


There's this guy at work... I know, you're all thinking "gag me with sap!" But this guy is really - something. He works in the stockroom, so we pass each other a lot in the store. We don't talk much, just the typical "how-do-ye"s, but we've always shared a connection. Whenever we pass by each other - we don't have to say a word - just a look lets us know how the other is feeling. A busy day at the store brings a role of the eyes. Managerial blunders precipitates shared smirks. And sometimes it's just a smile just to smile.
For the longest time that's all it was. But we both knew there was something else there. Finally, it happened. Yes, you know. It. No! Not that it! Such dirty-minded people!
The store had just closed and the lights were low in the backroom. I was headed out, my stuff slung over my slumped and tired shoulders, my head down. It had been a rough shift. But he was walking back in, like he'd forgotten something.
"Hey," he said, nodding shyly at me. I smiled back and we started to pass each other. Suddenly he stopped. And somehow I knew. My heart leaped into my throat as he turned, slowly, an odd look on his face.
"Hey," he said. "So, I guess - tomorrow's Valentines Day. I don't know if - if you're - doing anything."
I shook my head.
"Well maybe - you'd like to do something with me."
"Like - a date?" I was somehow managing to stay cool. Are you asking me out?"
The look melted into an awkward grin. "Yeah, I am. Do you wanna go out with me?"
Of course, by this point, I was completely flipping out. But I wasn't gonna let him know that! I cocked my head. "Well I don't know - but I'd like to find out."
He nodded. "OK. You wanna start - finding out - say, tomorrow after class?"
I couldn't help it then. I was all giggles. You can't blame me! I'm a female. "Sure," I laughed. "Why not?"
Good question. Why not write a fake V-day post for your enjoyment? Love to share the love - even the nonexistent kind.

1 comment:

  1. WHAT?!? So this didn't actually happen??? Man, I was gettin all giggly reading this and thinking what your dad was gonna say about this guy! GRRR

    ReplyDelete