Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Work Hard, Have Fun


Yesterday I embarked on a great undertaking. I began working at my summer job. Previously, I had always worked fairly - well - cushy jobs. I sat at a computer, or ran (ok, walked) errands across campus, or helped lead summer classes at the ARC. But this summer I found myself working my first hardcore, blue-collar job.
I found employment at the local dry-cleaners. Every summer the owner hires extra workers to handle the laundry from the summer camps. So I found myself sorting, folding, and wrapping enormous bundles of little boy undies and swim-trunks. It is absolutely shameful the volume of clothing some of these boys utilize. What happened to the woodsy, tough, toothbrush-and-change-of-drawers set?
By the end of the day I was sweating like a pig, my back was sore, and my feet had long since lost circulation. Not to mention the burnt thumb. Oh, and it so happens that little boys out camping like to get homesick and pee in their clothes. I smelled like pee. Great. I better be getting paid at least minimum wage for this!
But by this morning my body had recovered, and I was ready to get back out there and - fold my clothes! Yeah! OK, so it's not exactly a dream job. But hey, it's just two months of the summer. And it will do me good. I get to see how the real world actually works. And I'm pretty sure I will from now own always appreciate people who work with their hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment