
Yes "The" as in "epic". That's what you get when you combine 90 degree weather, overseasoned burger patties, a teenage boy who thinks he can grill, and three gals with a lot of cooking advice. Oh yeah, and Mexicans.
I suppose I should start from the beginning. My friends and I had been planning a picnic for about two weeks, and the opportunity finally came in the form of Memorial Day. So we all headed down to the local swimming hole. We parked our car up top and carried our stuff (i.e. made the guy drag the thirty pound cooler) down to the picnic tables and grills.
Of course the male insisted on grilling the burgers. Of course his girl friend insisted on helping him. Of course we forgot the lighter up the hill in the van. Fortunately, there was another party at the picnic table next to ours. Unfortunately, their English skills were questionable. But I called for reinforcements (my sister) and we got the message across. So we hurried back to our table, to find our chef pouring an entire bottle of lighter fluid over the coals. Petroleum burgers, anyone?
In the end though, all turned out well (discounting the crumbling beef patties, swarming flies, dropped s'mores, and sweat tea thieves...). Our Hispanic neighbors seemed more than relieved to have their lighter returned intact.


No comments:
Post a Comment