
A friend of mine once asked how something could be so agonizing and yet so satisfying at the same time. This phenomenon has, I am sure, struck many others who make it their habit to exercise regularly. Well, as my old band director once said, "pain is weakness leaving the body."
I started an exercise "program" about two weeks ago. Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I run on the treadmill in the gym for twenty minutes. Yes, twenty minutes! I know this sounds like a challenging ordeal - and it is. It's torture. But it's torture that makes me happy. :)
No, I'm not pyschotic (well, sort of). Sure, it hurts at first (and the next time, and the third time, and every time), but there comes a point when you get past that. Really - it's called runner's high. And man are those endorphins somethin'!
I always come out of that gym feeling so much more peaceful and benevolent toward the world. Yet at the same time, I feel so alive! There's something about feeling my heart pound, the sweat slide off my skin, the air rush through my lungs, that makes me wanna do stuff! Man! Come on! Let's go wrestle some bears! Woohoo!!!
But don't worry; after I'm done working out, I eat a burger and soda and I'm back to normal again. Gotta keep a good balance, ya know. You need some fatty french fry grease clogging your veins.


No comments:
Post a Comment