Thursday, November 11, 2010

Registration


The time had come again. The time for registration. Every semester students all across the country (may I say the whole world even) await that day that will set their fate for the next four months.
For me registration is an exciting time. New materials, new teachers, new classmates. But registration can be stressful as well. For example, your adviser might forget to put your code in, and you could be stuck registering with freshmen, scraping the bottom of the barrel for your courses. If you ever meet someone who has physics 380 at nine o'clock at night - you have met one such poor soul.
Fortunately, I had never had such a problem. No, registration had always been a breeze. So confident had I become in my registration skills that I decided I was ready. I was ready to join the group of "real" college students - and register at midnight. I know, I know, it was big. And risky. At such a late hour my faculties would be compromised by fatigue. What if I accidentally registered for Psychology 437 instead of Psychology 337? I could be doomed! I could lose my chance, and the class could be snatched up by other, more adept, registerees. But I was - as I said - confident.
So I settled down and waited for midnight. Midnight came. And midnight went.
"You are not permitted to register at this time," said the little red letters. WHAT!!! This was impossible! I had done everything right; I had seen my adviser; I had entered my registration code. As it turned out, the clock on the registration site was slow. By thirty minutes! Thirty minutes! How was I supposed to survive another thirty minutes? But I had waited this long; I would endure!
My eyes grew heavy. My mind started wandering sleepily. Occasionally my legs twitched. (yes, I have twitchy legs when I get tired; leave me alone!) But then, at last! 12 o'clock.
"You are not permitted to register at this time." WHAT!!! This was ridiculous, this was -
12:01. The site opened.
Oh. Ok. It was just messing with those of us who had been sitting with our eyes glued to the clock for the past half hour. That's nice. Good job, little register site. You just scared several hundred college students out of their wits.

No comments:

Post a Comment