
Finally! I struggled through my first grueling week of school and finally found myself at the first break of the year: Labor Day. Three whole days of rest and relaxation. In the new movie Eat, Pray, Love Julia Roberts' Italian friends teach her to enjoy "the sweetness of doing nothing". Every so often I need to relearn the skill. So I put away my textbooks, turned off my alarm clock, and forgot about brushing my hair.
The weather was perfect for doing nothing. The exact blend of cool breezes and warm sunshine that I expect to experience in eternal paradise. Sitting on a porch swing and reading a non-curricular book for hours was perfectly acceptable. As was having a Sonic blast ice cream fight with my sister, staying up until two in the morning glued to inane teenage dramas, and sunbathing on the roof. And I can assure you that eating healthily (a habit I had strictly adhered to for the past week) was absolute sacrilege. Marshmallows and fudge rounds at any hour of the day or night for me.
But alack, all things must end. Crossing my fingers until Thanksgiving...


No comments:
Post a Comment