Saturday, August 21, 2010


HaHa New Post!


I haven't flown a kite in years. I love kite flying. I love the challenge of getting it up: running across a beach or a field screaming at the thing to "fly!" as it bounces and struggles behind you. I love the little thrill of victory when it is finally airborne. And then comes the tugging and the coaxing and the string burns on the fingers required to keep it airborne. Finally it is high enough that gravity gives up and it steadily spirals skyward. Then it reaches the end of the string and you realize you need more string.
But I haven't been flying in years. I always forget or am busy or there's "no wind." Strange how there's never any wind when you actually want to fly a kite.
Today I decided that the excuse of "no wind" is bogus. There's always wind. I just needed to get past the mentality that I couldn't do it, that it was impossible. You can't just sit around in life waiting for the perfect breeze to come along. You have to get out there! Spread your figurative wings and fly!
I swept outside with my kite over my shoulder and marched into my neighbor's field. There I spent the next half hour detangling the string. But it would be worth the time, I knew, when my kite was free. I stretched out the line, gripped my kite by the spine, and ran. It fluttered, flew! Up past the power line as I coaxed it. It tugged reluctantly on its string, but I knew that this was just the temperorary fear before flight. Up and up and - down.
Nose dive. Into the grass. There was no wind above the height of a second story window. Oh well. It was too hot anyway. I went inside to watch TV.
Ah, the American Dream of being free to be firmly planted on the couch.

1 comment: