Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Rules


I think I have an issue with rules. Not all rules; just the ones that don't make sense to me. Like "no humming at the table". Humming induces the release of endorphins, which make people happy, and isn't the family dinner supposed to be a happy time? See? It's a pointless rule. Now, I can understand "don't chew with your mouth open". Watching someone chew with their mouth open is just nasty, especially if you yourself are eating. It induces the gag reflex, which induces vomiting, which would also be very unpleasant at the dinner table. So, sensible rules: no problem. Ridiculous rules just because yo momma didn't like it (because she was too stodgy): annoying.
Of course, rules are necessary. Without them our society would fall into disarray. But too many rules tend to burden the spirit. Why else would all these people be so against government regulation? Just as too many regulations can harm businesses, so can too many rules harm family life, personal relationships, and general enjoyment of life. People need order, but they also need freedom to express their own individuality, and to find what works best for them. Maybe to you sitting with your elbows on the table means that your bored, but to me it means that you're comfortable and at ease. One size does not fit all. I have heard this adage all my life, but somehow it seems that most people just can't grasp it. I guess it's because we're prone to assume everyone is just like us. A vanity thing I suppose. Or something like that...
Some people need more rules than others. They like to know that things are controlled. Other people, like myself, prefer more leeway. We like to just go-with-the-flow. Less structure to allow more adaptation to different situations (And just because we don't like to be told what to do - hehe).
So find your niche and be comfortable there. But don't freak out if people and the neighbor's dogs don't fall perfectly into the places you designate for them. There are too many other things in life to fret about.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny that you said the rule about no humming at the table- I LOVE to sing, and we were not allowed to sing at the table growing up, but now that I am an adult and have a child of my own, well let's just say we do our BEST singing at the dinner table (but not out in public) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was SOOOOO gonna post what Kelly just said!
    GRRRR

    ReplyDelete