Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Well It Is!



So... quick recap.

I graduated college (yeah, sorry you missed that).  I moved to South Carolina to live with my parents (because I'm broke).  I brought Richard Parker with me (stay tuned for future updates).  I did not bring the boyfriend with me (sorry to disappoint).

Oh my gosh y'all, being an adult is so much different than being a college student.  It is so incredibly terrifying.  Not because I'm afraid of financial hardships or housing or responsibility.  Oh no, it is much worse than that.  I am having an existential crisis that extends to every part of my life.  And I am not even exaggerating!  At all!  Not even right now!
It would take such a long time to explain to you the ways in which my world is completely imploding, that I won't even bother trying.  I will just attempt to make the briefest description of why being an adult is overrated.

1.  Job hunting.  Once you graduate college, everyone expects you to find a job.  Not just any job         (*coughChickFilA*) but a "real" job.  A job that will make five years and several ten-thousand dollars worthwhile.  Unfortunately, all I want to do is be a hobo.  Job hunting is scary.

2.  Losing the college community.  In college I not only had an established network of friends, I also had the larger community of the school.  There was always something to do on campus, from free music concerts to soccer games.  Plus almost everyone was close to my age.  We had shared similar experiences (at least in that we were young adults living at a liberal arts school).  

3.  Having no direction.  In college my life was very ordered and predictable.  For five years (really for the last seventeen years), I always knew what I was going to be doing in a few months or years.  I had the regularity of classes, the comfort of a sure future.  Now, every time I try to imagine my life in a year or five years I just develop a mini panic attack.

These are the top three reasons being an adult is overrated.  But I hear it gets better as we go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment