Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Oh Christmas Tree!


I had my first Christmas tree this season. Well, technicaly it was my roommate's, but still - I decorated it and admired it. In fact I enjoyed the tree so much that my roommate's dad (whom I've never actually met) got me a baby mini fir tree for a late Christmas present. It's only about a foot tall right now, and I really have no idea how big it's supposed to get. But it is my tree. My Christmas tree.
You may wonder "what is the deal with her obsession with Christmas trees?" Well, the sad truth is that I was deprived as a child. My father is the Grinch.
No, that's too harsh. He just doesn't appreciate the day very much. He thinks it is a "Roman pagan holiday" (whatever that means). But, anyway, I have subsequently been deprived of Christmas. Oh, we still exchange gifts (on New Years), and go to parties, and listen to Christmas music. We even put up some wintry decorations. But no Christmas tree.
Yet despite this upbringing, I have come to love Christmas. It is absolutely my favorite holiday. I love the lights, the music, the spirit and, most of all, the trees. I start looking forward to it around June. This year, I'm apparently starting early.
I say "despite of my upbringing", but I have a hunch it may actually be the cause of my Christmas mania. The long suppression of my natural joy of the season has only made this emotion stronger. It is, in fact, basic psychology. Oh father! Your own devices have turned against you! Christmas has won! I have a Christmas tree!
A little late, yes, but a Christmas tree all the same. A one foot tall, gonna-be Christmas tree. Merry late Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. My uncle James the scrooge! lol jk ;) glad you got your very own tree!!

    ReplyDelete