
This semester I decided I had acclimated to college enough to start joining clubs. This was a new and exciting experience for me, and by the time I was finished I was a member of at least six student organizations. One of these is Venture Crew.
Venture Crew is an adult branch of the Boy Scouts, that is (obviously) open to women. The Venture Crew - as the name implies - does all manner of things adventurey like hiking, camping, water skiing, biking, etc.
For our most recent trip, we decided to go indoor rock climbing. We found a perfect place deep in the city that only charged students $6. So our adventure began.
Began with us getting lost. In the ghetto. Yeah. Six college kids packed into a two door car driving in circles around the hood. I'm pretty sure I saw some guy snuffing crack off a car hood. We were most definitely afeared.
But finally we found the place - a tiny hole in the wall squeezed into a crumbling, graffiti adorned complex.
The place was actually pretty decent on the inside. The walls were covered with hip-hop paraphernalia and - of course - rocks. The rock walls stretched back into the building in increasing levels of difficulty. Of course we immediately tackled the black-stickered paths.
In rock climbing there are two rules: don't fall down (we were ropeless) and always have someone to spot you (because apparently the first rule had been infringed upon before). I broke both, of course. I mean, falling is half the fun. And why would I want someone staring at my butt?
Of course we amateurs soon tired. An hour after we arrived were were lying on the crash mat wishing for something to eat. It was fun though.
And like any good thing, it is definitely possible to get too much of rock climbing. My arms have never been this sore in my entire life. Now all I need to do is go horse-back riding to even it out.


No comments:
Post a Comment